Besides being fun to plan, theme weddings are becoming very popular. Here are some themes that we really like.
Watch for * = available at Lumsden Florist etc.
- Casual setting, usually outdoors, under a big event tent*, decorate with paper lanterns*
- Hot dog stands and candy apples amidst ring toss and dart games
- Favours: small honey jars with custom labels*, or handmade soap with your favourite scent and custom labels*
- Have guests toss air popped popcorn in lieu of rice
Fresh Garden or Lakeside Cottage
- Line paths with ambience: using paper lunch bags or recycled 2L bottles with tops cut off; fill to 1/3 with sand and nestle in lit votive.
- Prop your old canoe onto its side, fill with ice and Voila - you have your bar half ready!
- Centrepieces: collect driftwood and stones from the lakeshore. OR handmade birdhouses* which you can auction off! OR try potted herbs or small plants*
- Set straw bales around in clearings and under trees for sitting space. Cover with bright coloured blankets and quilts.
Vintage Vanity Fair
- Hit second hand shops for fun classic diva accessories: Cigarette holders, half veiled hats, shawls, boas... Have handy for guests to use.
- Feathers! On everything: cake, in hair, with flowers. Use feather boas as garland and piled as centrepieces.*
- Flowers can be anything, but the full, imperfect garden roses look sooo good with their own half veil.*
- Think: old Coca Cola bottle machines with glass bottles cokes on hand, and of course, champagne darling!
- Zen in peaceful, and relaxing. Choose colours which are quiet yet modern: pale blue or cream with espresso.
- Centrepiece ideas abound: single, simple bamboo stems* OR a tall vase of curly willow* OR floating candle orchid vases seen here.*
- Location can be either outside with groomed rock or sand garden accents OR inside with elements of nature brought in.
- Have your bridesmaids hold simple paper parasols* in lieu of flowers
- Line walkways with a trail of rose petals* or river stones*